AAPC - Back to school

Thread: vaccine request/deferred exam

Default vaccine request/deferred exam

AAPC: Back to School
    I'm not 100% sure I agree w/my physicians level 2 E/M for this visit, any suggestions? HPI - pt is here requesting adacel vaccine. To me that doesn't count as problem focused HPI, am I wrong? PMH/SHX documented. Review of syst/exam incl temp/pulse/bp and resp rate/weight. Further exam declined. Patient was not given the adacel vaccine as she is breastfeeding, and last tetnus date is unknown. Could he bill a level 2 for this encounter, and what would the dx be? She has no issues addressed. She was directed to get her prev med records, and schedule a nurse visit when she is no longer breastfeeding. Thanks for any insight.

What I don't understand is why patient was scheduled when provider could not administer the vaccine due to her breastfeeding. I see no chief complaint or any indication that this visit was medically necessary. At most, it looks to me like all they did was take her vital signs. I would not be billing a level two visit.

Duluth, Minnesota

For an established patient only 2 of the 3 elements of the components need to be met. So if documentation supports a level 2 he can bill it.
    HPI PF -with question adacel vaccines. The doctor reviewed with the patient the Adacel Vaccine-the fact that she couldn't get it now and why and when to come back - reviewed with patient that last tet was unknown.
    ROS EXP with 1 under constituional;
    PFSH COMP -with two being documented;

PF/no exam/Straight Forward = level 2