Billing and Coding

1. Default Billing and Coding
    Medical Coding Books
    I've been doing Billing & Coding for years and have now decided to take the certification test. Would you suggest taking a course or can I just study the book?

Will your company pay for the course? If so, go for it! It won't hurt.
    K-CPC

3. Default
    No I'll be paying for this on my own.

I recently took the CPC exam and I did pay for a review course out of my own pocket - I thought it was well worth the time and money - I passed the exam!

Default Help!!!
    [QUOTE=Jashani1;164854]I've been doing Billing & Coding for years and have now decided to take the certification test. Would you suggest taking a course or can I just study the book?[/QUOTE

I took the course in 2006 and work in the billing field since then and now want to do the coding certification. I am working as a biller/coder now for a Dr's office. I am studying to take the exam in Sept but am studying on my own with books from 06 and the AAPC 2011 study guide. Are there any areas that I should focus more on? Do you have any suggestions or advice?

6. Default
    Thanks everyone for your replies

Quote Originally Posted by Jashani1 View Post
    I've been doing Billing & Coding for years and have now decided to take the certification test. Would you suggest taking a course or can I just study the book?
    Buy the practice tests and take those - if you do well on them, just take the test. If they're harder than you expected, then get the study guide. You get 2 shots at taking the exam. Good luck!

8. Default
    Jashani1 - Can you please update the group on what you decide and what route you take. I too have been billing/coding for years and have always wanted to become certified but unsure of the path to take. I've only done billing/coding for private practice/professional services so I'm sure there is A LOT that I'm missing. Thanks for sharing

9. Smile
    Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Guru

I decided to purchase the Study Guide and the online exam and go from there. I will keep you posted.