AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Critical Access Hospital - Critical Access Hospital

Post Critical Access Hospital - Critical Access Hospital

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone know where I can find information on coding for Critical Access Hospital? I just started a new job and I think its going to be a lot different than the coding I have done in the past.

Thumbs down

I cannot believe that there is no one out there that has any information on Critical Access Hospitals.

I am fairly new to CAH and have been reading and reviewing on the Noridan website, they have some great information. The CMS website also has a section on CAH these are both great places to start. If Noridian is not your FI or MAC than I would suggest also trying your FI or MAC site.

Sharlene Evans CPC, CPC-H
    AAPC Silverdale Local Chapter - Secretary
    Last edited by sharevans; 09-14-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: miss spelled word

I work at a critical care hospital. The coding is the same. The payment to the hospital is different.

I am a CPC and have worked at a CAH for nearly 2 and 1/2 years, in my first coding position. I code all of the facilities Ambulatory/Ancillary visits with 99% accuracy, all of their ER/ED for physician and facility charges with 98% accuracy and have been highly trained in ER/ED coding with accuracy between 92 - 98%.
    To the best of my knowledge (only having worked with CAH), I agree with what debra-277 has stated.

On a side note.... I recently interviewed with an acute care facility , the Coding Supervisor and the HIM Director there were very impressed that I knew so many different styles of coding. After testing me they stated that my coding was excellent and that I was ready now to be an Inpatient Coder, which I believe I could be a good one. They offered me the position but, I think I'll keep looking.

Someone had stated elsewhere that it's a great place to start and I agree.
    Last edited by niteowl; 01-19-2013 at 03:32 AM. Reason: added and edited a few items....