I recently read an article explaining that to cover the cost of your re-packing of gauze the Complicated I&D code is more appropriate since typical follow-up care is included during the global period. I wish I could remember who wrote the article, I believe it was in a Coding Alert. In addition, the Ingenix 2008 Coders' Desk Reference describes the complex procedure as, "...the physician may place a Penrose latex drain or gauze strip packing to allow continued drainage."
I hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join