AAPC - Back to school

Thread: HPV coding

Unhappy HPV coding

AAPC: Back to School

I code for pathologists who are doing HPV testing and another lab is doing the pap screening. Usually the orders are "screwy" as the dr's office will put the dx from last year's pap so I don't want to use that on the current HPV. I am used to coding the HPV by looking at the pap....if abnormal, I can use that. If I don't have the current pap results and last year's dx is on the order, how can I code the HPV? Most often, these are for a well woman exam.

I appreciate any and all input...I'm at a loss.....

Thank you, my friends

Columbia, MO

there is a V code for screening for HPV and unless the patient has symptoms or a dx of HPV then screening the only code you can use... V73.81

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

New Orleans, LA

This is a chance to educate the referring clinicians on the lab's requirement for accurate orders. While V73.81 is probably the appropriate code, the clinician needs to approve its application to justify the test. Assuming that it is a screening, and billing it that way, can lead to trouble down the road.

Similar Threads

1. HPV Coding for 2015
    By TAHall in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 06:38 AM
  2. Hpv coding
    By tarab524 in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
  3. HPV PRN Outpatient Coding Query
    By msmaireb in forum OB/GYN
    Replies: 0