new coder needs help with ROS

Default new coder needs help with ROS
    Exam Training Packages
    Physician says he can't do ROS on 3 year old because of age and also documens HENt: negative for ear pain. Can this be counted as comprehensive or is it only correct to count the one system?

Thanks for any help.

I'm thinking that 3 year old probably had a parent he could have gotten a ROS from.

I'm not sure what you are asking on your second question..do you mean for an exam? I count HEENT as one system.
    Linda Vargas, CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC,CCC
    PMCC Licensed Instructor
    Kansas City, MO Chapter
    President, 2018
    Vice President, 2017
    Member Development Officer 2016
    Harrisonville, MO Chapter President - 2013
    ICD-10 Education Coordinator- 2012
    Chapter President - 2011
    President Elect - 2010

3. Smile Melody CPC
    I agree with Linda, HEENT is one system.

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by rhblevins61@yahoo.com View Post
    Physician says he can't do ROS on 3 year old because of age and also documens HENt: negative for ear pain. Can this be counted as comprehensive or is it only correct to count the one system?

Thanks for any help.

The question is how many systems are in this statement " HENt: negative for ear pain" It is one.
    However...
    If the provider stated, "HEENT without complaints" this would count as 2 systems. This abreviation stands for head, eyes, ears,nose and throat. If you review the ROS from CMS eyes and ears are the 2 systems. https://www.cms.gov/MLNProducts/Downloads/1995dg.pdf page 7

The tricky part is how you use the 'head' part of HEENT.
    Dee
    CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CPCD

I agree with all of the above and the only thing I can offer is that I sometimes use the HEAD as musculoskeletal... ie. head normocephalic, symmetrical, etc.
    PeaPod

I agree with Dee CPC, HEENT is definitely 2 different systems. I guess if the ED MD meant head, eyes, nose and throat when he put HENT, then you can count it as two. ENT (ear, nose and throat, which includes the head I believe) is one system, but the eyes are totally separate. So if he meant eyes, and not ears, you can count 2.
    K-CPC

7. Default
    Peapod, that is too what I was taught by a MD who was also a CPC but not all auditors have agreed with that.

Also, if he says "HEENT : negative for ear pain" I would only use this as one. S/he isn't saying anything about the other areas.

Am I picky? I would encourage the Doc to say "negative except ear pain"
    Dee
    CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CPCD