Hi Thelma - As both a coder and former transcriptionist, I wanted to share my experience with you. Some transcriptionists are employed by universities or organizations, but most transcriptionists today work as private contractors and as such must make sure that they remain up-to-date so to speak to continue to be able to provided valid services. As far as mandatory education, I am not sure how those who are self-employed would be able to remain competitive when formal education programs usually cost substantial amounts of money. Most private transcriptionists get paid based on their output, per word. If they are not transcribing notes, they are not getting paid. Hope this insight adds to the discussion!
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join