Most psychiatrist billed according to the service they provide. The first visit in most cases maybe a 90801. After the first visit, if psycotherapy is needed the the codes are based according to the time provide for the visit within the settings of outpatient vs inpatient.
Within the Psychiatry Section of CPT outlines the codes if medical evaluation and managment services were provided during the psychotherapy session.
If the psychiatrist, refers the patient to an social worker and/or psychologist. Then you must append the apporiate modifer for the social worker (modifier AJ) and (modifier AH) for the psychologist. If medication is needed the the correct code should be 90862.
Also, you will need to check with the mental health carrier in regards to what is acceptable per their fee schedule.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join