Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lack of exprience

1. Default Lack of exprience
    Medical Coding Books
    I have my CPC-A but its hard for me to land a job because of my lack of experience in the field. Do anyone have tips they can share with me or some advice that I can apply to my job search.

2. Default new medical coders
    Quote Originally Posted by moniquepooh@yahoo.com View Post
    I have my CPC-A but its hard for me to land a job because of my lack of experience in the field. Do anyone have tips they can share with me or some advice that I can apply to my job search.
    Monique, I have had my CPC-A since April and was following a company in order to work remote for them. I am an RN and they told me they only hire RN's and showed me where to go to get certified. They suggested 3 places, I paid my $2,500 and 6 months and passed. I cannot get on with them or anyone else. I am not saying that Medical coding is a scam job, just the companies that make money training you to take the national exam and then you cannot find a job coding. I would like to work remotely, but that is out of the question. I have taken many of the company 'tests' and am unable to pass their 95% rule. [hey, I am a new coder, that is something that I think is not unusual for a new coder]. Anyway, I am going back to nursing as I cannot find anything.
    SCAM

3. Default
    I'm starting to get the same feeling about coding schools. I read an article in the paper a couple years ago about how coding was an up and coming profession and rapidly expanding. So last fall I signed up for a class at a local junior college and passed the CPC on my first try. Now I see everyone wants 2-3 years experience.

The local paper's website has a job forum. There is a temp agency that has lots of coding jobs listed. So I went down to their office and filled out an application and they told me they only send out experienced coders to clients.

The website here listed two local companies that handle Project X-Tern. I thought even if it didn't pay, it would be experience. Well, both of them told me they didn't have any spots right now for X-Tern. I went to a couple local chapter meetings and asked the chapter president if she knew of any job opportunites for new coders (she had proctored my exam and remembered me as I was the only male there that day) but said she didn't know anything.

Had I known getting into this field was nigh impossible, I wouldn't have wasted over $2,000 on class fees, two sets of books (had to buy 2011 books just for the exam since my class used 2010) and exam fees. I wish I had done more research before plunging into it. Had I read this forum a year ago, I never would have taken the class to begin with.
    Last edited by georgewatson; 06-28-2011 at 05:31 PM.

4. Default
    I passed my exam in April also. I went back to school to get edcated in a field that I thought would land me a secure job. I am a single Mom of 3 and needed to secure our future with field that would not just disappear . I can't find a job anywhere. What A scam you can work from home. Wish AAPC would help us fill our education and hard work.

Boy, I am SO sorry you guys are having such a hard time. I've been coding for over 25 years, and I started by working nights as an extra job, registering patients in a rural ER. That led to working for a single physician office entering charges into the computer, then coding his surgeries, and finally moving to a multi-physician office where I handled everything from billing and coding, to the computer updates and even supervised the cleaning crew. I think most of us coding started small, sometimes almost as an afterthought and worked our way up.

Not to knock anyone who wants to better themselves, but some of those schools who advertise that you can work from home, are only doing it to sell the "easy life" to people. Coding definitely isn't easy and no one that I know ever started at the "top". Coding is a profession that has to be constantly groomed and updated and if you are a new coder you may not have all the skills that it takes to work, unsupervised at home. My best suggestion is that you start a little lower on the food chain and look for a related field that will allow you to build experience while climbing the ladder.

Look for a job checking in patients so that you will learn why demographics are so important to billing. Look for something in Medical Records so you can see why privacy and good record keeping is important, not to mention the importance of documentation. Look for something in the Business Office of a physician practice or hospital so that you can see the relationship created by coding and billing a claim. There are lots of places to start and not all of them are as a coder per se. You have to start somewhere, so try broadening your search. Many places take applications on line, but don't stop there, SHOW UP!! Go in person and show them that you are willing to start anywhere to gain experience. Put yourself out there, at your local chapter meetings. Come even if you don't need the CEU's and let people know every time that you are looking. You never know where you will meet your next employer. Hang in there!! You CAN do it!! Maybe not from home, but somewhere!
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Barbara Fontaine, CPC
    2011-2015 AAPCCA [B]Past Board of Directors Chair

COLOR="Blue"]Assume Positive Intent...Be Kind!

Past President St. Louis West Chapter

email: bfontaine@signaturehealth.net

Hey, look at the next thread down "How many got a job without experience?" by Adam Shoop. It's a great thread for the down-hearted!!!
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Barbara Fontaine, CPC
    2011-2015 AAPCCA [B]Past Board of Directors Chair

COLOR="Blue"]Assume Positive Intent...Be Kind!

Past President St. Louis West Chapter

email: bfontaine@signaturehealth.net

Barbara beat me to my post saying nearly the same thing.

I get so irritated at the places who make misleading statements about what to expect when you complete the course. Those companies may be the scam but I can assure you that the coding profession and AAPC are not the problem or a scam. I have viewed this as my career for many years (I'm also in the 25+ years category) and I too started at the entry level to get my foot in the door and worked my way up. Gaining experience in all of the related areas (billing, medical records, scheduling, etc) is so important in understanding the overall process.

Please do not get discouraged. AAPC is has the Apprentice Community page which has resources available for you. Attend chapter meetings-this is THE place to network and as Barbara stated, you never know when you will meet your next employer.

If you feel down, just get in touch with me or Barbara-we'll give you a pep talk to bring you back up! And believe me, if I were in a position to hire, I would have NO problem hiring a CPC-A if they were the right candidate!
    Brenda Edwards, CPC, CDEO, CPB, CPMA, CPC-I, CEMC, CRC
    AAPC Fellow
    AAPC ICD-10-CM/PCS Training Expert

Kindness is contagious-PASS IT ON!

8. Default
    I never expected to work from home the day I passed my test. I just never expected even getting an interview would be so difficult.

I've been having difficulty find a job too. I took the CPC on 6/18, and found out I passed Friday afternoon. Most places are asking for 2+ years of experience. I have applied to a lot of those, but then there are the ones that say "Do not apply if you don't have enough experience". I've applied for billing/coding as well as medical records, data entry, etc. - haven't heard back from anyone yet. Sent my resume to several employment agencies - nothing. Applied for non-medical jobs - nothing. I can't even get a volunteer position at a local hospital because they have too many high school/college students that are volunteering this summer. I took a course that was 80 hours (equivalent to 1 year experience), so I need another year of experience in order to be able to get the "A" removed. very frustrated that I am having so much difficulty in getting a job.
    Kristen Schwarz, CPC

10. Default
    I too am an RN having unbelievable difficulty finding a job. I passed my test first time, and am not even able to find internship or volunteer position. I do believe that coding organizations know the difficulty of finding a job without experience and do not believe this is adequately conveyed. I am fine with an entry level position, but I do want to be coding to get some actual experience, not just answering phones. It has been almost 2 years since I received my certification; I too have a limit on how much money I will spend on a profession that has not returned a dime to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast