Physical therapy coding

Post Physical therapy coding
    Medical Coding Books
    In the Ingenix book, Coding for the Physical Therapist (Coding and Payment Guide), a Coding Tip is provided which states, "..According to CMS guidelines, at least 8 minutes of direct contact with the patient msut be provided for a single unit of service to be appropriately billed."

One of our Physical Therapists has coded a 97140 (Manual Therapy, each 15 unit), but has documented in his progress note that he only spent 5 minutes on this. I am wondering if this can be billed at all, since the above does state that an increment must be at least 8 minutes. When I spoke to another therapist, THEY said not everyone has to adhere to those specific guidelines.. Only FEDERALLY FUNDED insurances will enforce those guidelines she said.. (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid).

I was surprised with that response because I know all the other payers use the CPT guidelines for our regular Orthopedic codes. For instance, BCBS or MVP etc.. they all follow the same CMS guidelines on our E/M codes that are in the CPT books, etc.

I've never coded P.T. before.. Anyone out there who can steer me in the right direction?

I have no idea what she is referring to. When you have a timed service, inorder to bill for a unit you must have a minimum of 1/2 of the required time documented so in the case of a 15 minute service it is rounded up to 8 min. This is not a Medicare policy you are correct it is the way the AMA wrote the procedure and the book.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

agree this is a CPT guideline not Medicare

Default Physical therapy coding
    Was this the only service the PT performed?
    Yoli

Quote Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
    I have no idea what she is referring to. When you have a timed service, inorder to bill for a unit you must have a minimum of 1/2 of the required time documented so in the case of a 15 minute service it is rounded up to 8 min. This is not a Medicare policy you are correct it is the way the AMA wrote the procedure and the book.
    Completely agree. Show the therapist the "Time" heading in the Intro at the beginning of the CPT book as proof.
    Meagan Strauss, CPC, CEMC
    Coding Coordinator
    The NeuroMedical Center
    Baton Rouge, LA