AAPC - Back to school

Thread: ICD-9 code 909.5

Question ICD-9 code 909.5

AAPC: Back to School
    I am using diagnosis code 909.5 when a lab test has been ordered for a patient who currently is not receiving chemotherapy treatment, but has in the past, and the organs are being checked for adverse affects from chemotherapy. My claim will not submit without an accident date for this code because of edits in place. I do not have access to the patient's last treatment date and I dont consider this to be an accident. It seems that I have used this code in the past and have not had any issues with supplying a date. I am not sure if others are having an issue with this or is there a better code to use? Thanks for any suggestions!

Columbia, MO

This code is for late effects from having had a reaction to a drug. You are just checking to see if the drug has had any ill effects so it is a drug monitoring encounter use V58.83 and V58.69.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

I thought V58.83 and V58.69 could only be used if the patient is on active treatment.

Columbia, MO

if they have been off the chemo for awhile then you are correct you would not use it. But most of the patient are tested for adverse effects soon after their last dose so it is ok to use. If they have been off the Chemo for awhile then use the V67.2 instead of the V58.83 and V58.69. Just not the 909.5.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Pasadena, CA

Question Late effects of chemotherapy

Hi Mitchellde,

I just read your reply regarding "late effects of chemotherapy" and wanted to know if you would suggest 909.5 for late effects of chemotherapy....I can't find any other ICD9 for late effects of chemotherapy.

"The patient is experiencing bilateral hand numbness secondary to chemotherapy" is documented by the physician.

Thank you!