Type B ED Physician Codes

Question Type B ED Physician Codes
    Exam Training Packages
    Can anyone point me to the guidance related to physician pro-fee codes for Type B emergency room visits. I am doing compliance work for a hospital network in PA. There are several Type B ED facilities that we know we need to use the G codes for. However, there is no clear guidance from CMS as to what codes the docs should use. Would the emergency codes 99281-99285 be correct or would they use 99201-99215?

99281 - 99285

Can you provide me a source? If I am reading the CFR correctly it looks like office visit codes. I am hoping you are correct, it will make life here much easier for me.

If you are coding the professional fees in an ER (type irrelevant), you would reference the 99281-99285 series in your CPT book. Hope this helps.

Even though a type B ED is not opened 24 hours a day per CPT guidance?

Yes. The ER that I have been coding for for 8 yrs (4 yrs facitlity side/4 yrs physician side) here in Calif has been using these codes for many years prior to my employment. They are open from 9am-9pm. The "G Codes" are used for facility billing due to the fact that the ER is not open 24 hrs. This does not apply to the professional fee billing.

Similar Threads

1. Type of Service Codes
    By jlasker in forum Medicare Regulations
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2015, 07:08 PM
  2. Type of Service Codes - Medicare Claims
    By jans04 in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 03:02 PM
  3. er codes, more than 1 physician?
    By e_richeson in forum E/M
    Replies: 1