AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Pathology/Oncology

Cool Pathology/Oncology

AAPC: Back to School
    I do diagnosing for groups of pathologists and I need a little help. Someone please remind me, if you have a metastatic adenocarcinoma as your diagnosis and you have the place it metastatized from in your history - do you put both codes on the claim, or just the one that is being diagnosed at this time? I vaguely remember maybe being told you use both. And what if you dont have where it came from? Then would only be possible to diagnosis the secondary site and thats ok, right? Been a few years, starting to lose skills! Please help.

Smile Pathology

If they are treating the metastatic adenocarcinoma that would be listed first. You list the primary site in second position if known. However if unknown there is an unknown code in the table of neoplasms at the start of the table at the top. I hope I have been some help.

Have a Great Day!!

Columbia, MO

You always list the primary site when listing the secondary. If the secondary is the one currently being treated or looked at , then it is the first-listed and the primary site is listed secondary and can be active, history of, or unknown (199.1). Remember the metastatic site is just an extension of the primary neoplasm in a different organ so that is why it is important to list the primary, example bone mets from breast cancer is still breast cancer now in the bone.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default Thank you!

Thank you for your help it is much appreciated!