PICC w/Ultrasound

Cool PICC w/Ultrasound
    Medical Coding Books
    I am looking for some help with the PICC w/ultrasoumd documentation. I work for a large hospitalist group and we have been doing PICC's w/ultrasound for several years. Now someone in HIM is questioning our documentation of the ultrasound. We usually use a template for these procedures. I am looking for some examples of dictation or templates examples to compare to ours. Or some type of documentation on how to document the PICC w/ultrasound. I need to make sure we are doing the documentation properly or change our wording so we are documenting correctly.

I hope I explained what I need. Thanks for all the help,
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."

Quote Originally Posted by randi haight View Post
    I am looking for some help with the PICC w/ultrasoumd documentation. I work for a large hospitalist group and we have been doing PICC's w/ultrasound for several years. Now someone in HIM is questioning our documentation of the ultrasound. We usually use a template for these procedures. I am looking for some examples of dictation or templates examples to compare to ours. Or some type of documentation on how to document the PICC w/ultrasound. I need to make sure we are doing the documentation properly or change our wording so we are documenting correctly.

I hope I explained what I need. Thanks for all the help,
    First of all, make sure there is a hard copy, or an image sent to a PACS system. In the dictation, there has to be a comment that the vein/artery was evaluated for patiency. Then a comment that a imaged was atken and sent to PACS or a hard copy imaged was taken and put into the chart. Those two things, in my opinion should get you through.

Hope that helps,
    Jim Pawloski, CIRCC

Default Thanks
    Jim, thanks for reply. We do have a hard copy template that says both of those and also we do send a copy to PACS for storage.

I feel that we have the correct documentation and that are billing is fine.

Thanks again,
    Randi

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...It's about learning to dance in the rain."