New to cardiology need help with cath codes

1. Default New to cardiology need help with cath codes
    Medical Coding Books
    Hello,

I am new to cardiology. Can anyone tell me if 93452 and 93454 can be billed together? The notes state that 93452 can not be reported in conjuction with 93453,93458-93461. It leaves out 93454.

Thanks,
    Heather Hall, CPC

Quote Originally Posted by HEATHERHALL View Post
    Hello,

I am new to cardiology. Can anyone tell me if 93452 and 93454 can be billed together? The notes state that 93452 can not be reported in conjuction with 93453,93458-93461. It leaves out 93454.

Thanks,
    Heather Hall, CPC
    hmmm, that is interesting. I guess that technically they can be billed together, however, if I were coding the case and both procedures are documented, I would code 93458 alone.

HTH
    Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

Quote Originally Posted by dpeoples View Post
    hmmm, that is interesting. I guess that technically they can be billed together, however, if I were coding the case and both procedures are documented, I would code 93458 alone.

HTH
    If you did the separate codes, would that not be unbundling the charge of 93458, which says coronaries + LHC (+/- LVgram)?

JIm Pawloski, CIRCC

4. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pawloski View Post
    If you did the separate codes, would that not be unbundling the charge of 93458, which says coronaries + LHC (+/- LVgram)?

JIm Pawloski, CIRCC

Jim,
    yes it would be unbundling.

I see the reason why it says not to use 93452 with certain codes. The codes it is saying not to use with(53,58,61) already contain left heart cath wording in them. So that would be billing left heart cath twice. It only goes to say you would not bill two codes 93452 and 93454 when there is one code that includes both 93452 and 93454 which is 93458.
    Theresa Dix CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pawloski View Post

JIm Pawloski, CIRCC
    Yes, that is what I find interesting (and puzzling). I really can't think of a situation where both would be billed, but the verbage seems to allow for such a scenario.

Danny L. Peoples
    CIRCC,CPC

6. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by dpeoples View Post
    Yes, that is what I find interesting (and puzzling). I really can't think of a situation where both would be billed, but the verbage seems to allow for such a scenario.

I see how it is very confusing!
    Theresa Dix CCS-P CPMA CCC ICDCT-CM

7. Smile Thanks
    Thanks for your everyones help.