AAPC - Back to school

Thread: how would you code this I&D

Default how would you code this I&D

AAPC: Back to School
    Scenario: Patient has a sore on his finger. Had sliver in it about a week ago but it just hasn't healed and now gettingred an swollen.It was cleaned with alcohol, anesthetized with Lidocaine. I attempted to I&D it. There was no drainage, no foreign body found.
    Can I code 10060 with a 52 modifer(reduced services). Thanks.

Milwaukee WI

Default E/M only, I think

THis is the expanded Lay description for 10060 ...
    The physician makes a small incision through the skin overlying an abscess for incision and drainage (e.g., carbuncle, cyst, furuncle, paronychia, hidradenitis). The abscess or cyst is opened with a surgical instrument, allowing the contents to drain. The lesion may be curetted and irrigated. The physician leaves the surgical wound open to allow for continued drainage or the physician may place a Penrose latex drain or gauze strip packing to allow continued drainage. Report 10060 for incision and drainage of a simple or single abscess.

Your brief notation doesn't convince me there was any incision, which is a condition necessary to bill 10060.

I would code only the E/M service.

Similar Threads

1. How to code a E&M code with a vaccine admin charge
    By KimberlyAr in forum Billing/Reimbursement
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-10-2015, 05:43 PM
  2. CPT & Dx code tenosynovectomy & granuloma -finger
    By coders_rock! in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2013, 08:15 AM
  3. E & M code with Incision & Drainage
    By martyzal in forum General Surgery