AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Wart Removal and E&M

Question Wart Removal and E&M

AAPC: Back to School
    I have an office that wants to charge for the E&M visit as well as the wart removal. My thought is that if they visit is only for the destruction then you can not charge for the 99212. Am I correct in this???

Default reference

It seems to depend on the type and extent of treatment. This article has some useful information.

This site also provides some good scenarios and guidance.

So the answer to your question is "maybe" depending on the whole situation.

hope this helps
    Last edited by jackson7591; 07-28-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra Fender View Post
    I have an office that wants to charge for the E&M visit as well as the wart removal. My thought is that if they visit is only for the destruction then you can not charge for the 99212. Am I correct in this???
    Depends. Did the patient come in for destruction or did the patient come in because of the lesion? Need more information to give a correct answer.

They were schedualed for the wart removal and that was all that was done.

Columbia, MO

If they were already scheduled for the wart removal then the assessment for the necessity of the procedure was already done and it cannot be charged again, therefore procedure only.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Default wart removal and E/M

I don't have a reply but I do have a question, what if the patient was a new patient and got a wart removed as well? Can we bill a new patient and wart rem since they have never been in the office before? and has anyone had it paid? The insurance is Select health Community.

Austin, Texas

When I ran the pediatric practice, wart removal was always an issue since the removal is considered "surgery" and the surgical procedure trumps the e and m since some e and m is involved in the surgical procedure. But, how to get paid for that new patient eval or an established patient for some other CC with a "by the way, can you take off his warts?" and a wart removal. We went to a "surgical" day on the calendar and had the patients come in specifically for "wart removals" and did multiple patients for this. The other key question is to code the correct number of warts removed so you are paid correctly.