AAPC - Back to school

Thread: E/M with Prev Counseling?

Columbus, OH

Default E/M with Prev Counseling?

AAPC: Back to School
    Can you bill an E/M code with a Preventative Counseling (99401-99404)? The description states that "services may be reported separately when performed". The doctor I bill for does a lot of wellness/preventative counseling and wanted to know if she covers these areas, can she bill this along with the E/M code.

I read one thing and think no, then read something else and think yes. Can anyone help me out?

Hi Kathy,

You can bill them but you would need to use a modifier. Where I work they discourage it because some insurance companies will not pay for both in the same visit.

Hi Kathydaniel,

I agree with Arlene about billing a modifier to the E/M as long as the documentation states separately identifiable, this happens alot at the insurance company I work for and for the most part the 2 procedures are reimbursed separately.

Pedenia Y. Evans, CPC

Similar Threads

1. Prev & E/M
    By bluerose13us in forum E/M
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 04:30 PM
  2. Prev-med vs E/M
    By denisebates in forum E/M
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM
  3. Prev med vs. E/M
    By Beany011178 in forum OB/GYN