This is my school of thought to assign:-
Cesarean section is a comprehensive and an unique service. Emdometrioma an dadhesiolysis are separate lesions of another site/organ.
Ovarian fulgration and adhesiolysis are not component service of this comprehensive service and it is not an accepted standard of care when performing C-section, nor necessary to complete the comprehensive service.
It is not a inseparable service to the C-section. For eg, Ovarian fulguration for endometriosis/endometrioma and/or pelvic adhesiolysis are not component code(s) for performing C-section to expose the uterus and bring out the baby. ( Of course there may be some adhesion in previous cesarean sections on the abdominal wall which may need to go for adhesiolysis to expose the uterus, but not pelvic adhesion and lysis for C-surgery ).
These procedures are separate and distinguishable. I would not say they are incidental, either. C-section a comprehensive and a complex procedure by itself needs lots of attention and risks of its own to be taken care of .If a surgeon does these other procedures means they are to be addressed to reduce the risks of complications and later problems, if left alone unaddressed.
So, I would rather go for the codes C-section code, 58740 -59, and one from (49203-49205)-59.
There is no necessity for laparotomy to be reported separately .
Pertinent and detailed operative notes should be attached as support.
Hope this helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join