AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Group or Not?

Albuquerque, NM

Exclamation Group or Not?

AAPC: Back to School
    Ok, here's the story...we are a Multi Physician Practice owned by a hospital. We bill under one tax ID, and have been told by our IPA Contracting department that we are "technically" not considered a "GROUP". I know what the definition of a Medical Group is:

A group medical practice consists of two or more physicians in partnership. Usually, the group shares all responsibilities for patient care.

Now, are we considered a group? Our physicians are not partners with each other, however, employed.

My other question is if we are not considered a group, does the guideline for Multispecialty apply, if a patient is seen by a provider, i.e. FP, then seen by our Cardiologist, is the patient new to the Cardiologist or established? According to the 95 & 97 E&M guideline of an established paitent of a "group" the patient would be established. If we are not a "group" the patient would be considered a New Patient?

Are you now as confused as I am?
    Last edited by penny48; 07-17-2011 at 02:07 PM.

Similar Threads

1. Group 1 and Group 2 special stains 88312 vs.88313
    By kaczmarek1 in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-10-2016, 08:12 AM
  2. Asking more advanced group since
    By Brandy0618 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2014, 01:23 PM