AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Vascular coding

Overland Park, KS

Question Vascular coding

AAPC: Back to School
    Does anyone know if and how we can bill/code for arteriograms that our vascular surgeons read? Or overread?

Jackson, TN

Absolutely! If you could be more specific as to the arteiograms performed... but there is a seperate S&I code for any angiogram performed found in the 70000 series... or by adding a -26 modifier to the procedure code, depending on the angiogram. I would be happy to help you if you could tell me a more specific scenario.

Overland Park, KS

Great, thanks. Our doctors will sometimes review the arteriograms at the hospital, after the radiologist has already generated a report. They are in a sense re-reviewing or over-reading it. They are not the ones that performed these particular ones. That is why I am not sure we can even bill for it, or would there be something else to bill. I am sure I would need the -26 mod, but do I need to find out how the hospital billed? And do the doctors need to be generating their own report of any kind? Thank you

a little additional info...

operative arteriograms done in surgery:
    "If you are present during the procedure and provide supervision of the exam as well as the final interpretation, 75710 would be the appropriate code. If you are not present and provide only the final interpretation, 75710-52 is used for interpretation only."

Per the Interventional Radiology Coding Users' Guide.