Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Who needs coders?

Medical Coding Books
    OH My, put me under for that

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    The youtube.com abscess drainage videos may be used as appetite-suppressants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRY_wNdrKr4

2. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeCPC View Post
    Find them money and they pay attention. I try to focus on one major issue at a time. I had a doctor once who was a great coder say that he wanted to get his CPC and what did the test cover. I told him and he said never mind. I have had a few suggest that they do do not need education they just need books so I have brought out my ICD-9, CPT and HCPCS and that is the end of that.

Good Luck
    I know this is EXTREMELY RARE, but I worked for a neurosurgeon back in 1996 that coded his own charts. He was extremely well at it... his documentation was as specific as it could get and so were his codes. He had just started on his own practice at the time and I was his first assistant. I was always present with him when patients were examined (I guess more of a chaperone) so I know he never "fudged" and, with his morals, I don't think he ever would. He had me audit him about every two months or so and was always at 100% even with his modifiers!!!!!!!!!!! He never ever unbundled and just payed extreme attention to detail. I LOVED working for him and wish I would have never left at times, but if I stayed, I would not have made the salary or been able to work from home as I have for the past 8+years. Anyway, the whole thing about this story is he just operated on me last Monday and he told me that HE STILL CODES his own stuff. I was flabergasted! Really??!??? after all this time???? I thought it was crazy. Most docs now in this day and age want nothing to do with "coding". They just want it done Now I will be auditing him every two months being he did such an awesome job on my surgery.

Had another crazy respond today on coding today. Here is today

Scheduler : Oh ,coding is an ease ,Doc mostly does the same thing over and over , its always the same code.

Me: Yes , but what is scheduled and then what he actual does is two different things

Scheduler :Well it should be close to it

Me: Close to it doesn't count , has to be right code, and when ICD-10 comes out even more

Scheduler: ICD-10 ?,What is that?,

Moral of story, leave coding to coders,

Wow!! that about sums it up.
    LG CPC,CASCC

I have an encouraging story...

Several years ago, we had heard through the grapevine that our EMR was going to put coders out on the street. In fact, I had to 'reassign' four coders to other departments.

It came time to do our annual external audit. Our facility hired an MD, CPC (because the "MD" after his name made him credible....), so when he came here to audit our EMR, which he did extremely well and with his coding cap smartly in place on his head, he uncovered many compliance issues, concerns and problems that can only be monitored and improved by the use of coding/auditing staff. Of course, we had already identified these issues, but hearing it from an outside auditor, and one who was also an MD, made a huge impression. It wasn't long before the same grapevine was saying, "what would we do without our coders?"
    Pam Brooks, MHA, COC, PCS, CPC, AAPC Fellow
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

To Pam,
    It is so good to be appreciated. Nice story. Thanks for sharing it.

7. Default ....it's a small world.....
    When I hear the same comments ..."What does she do all day? All she has to do is type in what's scheduled".... it helps my anger management skills to read these posts!

I always thought the "best" remarks were the usual 5-6 calls per day from the business office that asked me to "please change the code to _____ so we can get paid." Yeah, okay, I am all over that!

MnTWINS29- that happen to you too. I thought it was just the place where I work at ,HMM ,some people out there, Well its a shame, but glad I am never the only one out there that works with those kind of workers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123