Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who needs coders?

Default Who needs coders?
    Exam Training Packages
    Today I went to work and we have a scheduler thats made a comment, why do we have to change cpt codes .?, why dont we just code whats on the booking, thats what we get authorization for. I responded with a smile- and walked away. Procedures change, more codes/less codes , waiting on path for correct dx, etc , codes do change in ASC . Has anyone ever been asked such a stupid question ?just had to type this to let some steam out.
    Last edited by codedog; 07-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trent123 View Post
    Today I went to work and we have a scheduler thats made a comment, why do we have to change cpt codes .?, why dont we just code whats on the booking, thats what we get authorization for. I responded with a smile- and walked away. Procedures change, more codes/less codes , waiting on path for correctd, etc , codes do change in ASC . Has anyone ever been asked such a stupid question ?just had to type this to let some steam out.
    Ignorance is bliss.

yep, sad thing is some ASC places may bill whats on booking, sad thing is they are losing revenue

No I was told by a billing co-worker that "anyone" can code!!!!!!!!! She didn't even know what a modifier was!!!! LOL

5. Default
    I have also heard the "ANYONE CAN CODE" scenerio. My favorite so far was when one of physicians ( we have a group of 40+ physicians ) looked straight at our lead coder and said ," I dont know what I would do without my transcriptionist, she is not interchangeable unlike your job...anyone can do coding ." I was STUNNED!!! I am glad I wasn't there because I might have opened my BIG mouth.
    Unfortunuately the company I work for never recognizes coders and the hard work we do. I get tired of being underappreciated BUT am happy to have a job.

Wink
    It's the 90-second radio commercials that get me, "become a medical coder in 9 months." Although they make my job sound easy, I've found that those coders who are doing a good job and striving for compliance rarely think of their job as easy.

Sorry to hear this; it's a stigma that several professions endure--we just happen to be one of them!

Yes I have heard that also. Fortunatly I work in a surgery center that does know that not everyone can Code. I was just audited and did well high 90's The docs do appreciate my work and constant strive for compliance and accuracy. Unfortunatly I am the only ASC coder and was able to go on vacation but there was not anyone to do my job. So I came back to double the work. So that just proves my point that not every one can Code!!! Hang tough.
    LG CPC,CASCC

Only coder myself, and I was told never can take off at end of month. Never!, they like to close out as much as possible with coding just about everything. I told them no operative report it will not be coded. They thought I was joking , serious- I am talking about higher up people that work there, I am not complaining about my job.I love my job, like the people I work with, and get along with doctors very well , but it seems like they think coding is an ease, just look it up in a book and thats all to it, I was told . Really ? so you dont have to know what is bundled, what dx goes with what , CCI EDITS,Cross Walks ,modifers,just look in book, thats all we do - yeah right -

9. Default
    Find them money and they pay attention. I try to focus on one major issue at a time. I had a doctor once who was a great coder say that he wanted to get his CPC and what did the test cover. I told him and he said never mind. I have had a few suggest that they do do not need education they just need books so I have brought out my ICD-9, CPT and HCPCS and that is the end of that.

Good Luck
    Dee
    CPC, CPCO, CPMA, CPCD

Responding with a smile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast