AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Pathology codes using modifiers

Default Pathology codes using modifiers

AAPC: Back to School
    Good morning all,

I need some assistance with billing pathology codes listed below: the edit says 88323 unbundles to Hx procedure 88321 I tried using mod. 59 on each and I'm having diffculty with this claim any suggestions?

88342 - mod 59

Thank you,

Default cpc

CMS (Medicare) only allows one code in the 88321-88323 range per date-of-service. Date of service is determined by the date the specimen was archived from storage and sent for second opinion. For any ancillary service YOU performed, such as a special stain, IHC, etc., then you append modifier 59 to that service. If you do cut into a block for ancillary service, CMS instructs that you then use cPT 88323 for the consult code (which I still don't get, but it's Medicare rule). So if you performed an IHC on a second opinion consult, regardless of how many separate accessions were received that date, per Medicare guideline you'd code

(this of course assuming you're billing global)

Thank you so much that was very helpful information I will let the pathologist know this .

Thank you,

Similar Threads

1. Revenue codes for pathology
    By coachlang3 in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2015, 05:44 AM
  2. Using Pathology/Lab codes
    By tamstrnd in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-28-2011, 08:23 AM
  3. Need help Pathology codes
    By tholcomb in forum Pathology & Clinical Laboratory