Section 30.4 discusses payment for physician review of lab results. If the only service is to report lab results, then it appears billng for this on a return visit is not appropriate. If additional sevices are provided and documented, services which meet the threshold of medcal necessity then additional billing might be appropriate.
The only other consideration that comes to mind is the duration, and necessity of the counseling, i.e. If the counseling lasted for more than 50% of the visit, which would have to be in the documentation. If this is the case, you may code for the appropriate level of office visit based on time. See time based e/m coding under behavioural health
Hope this helps
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join