MDs signing off on another MD?

1. Default MDs signing off on another MD?
    Medical Coding Books
    Hi everyone,

We have a new MD starting at our practice who unfortunately is brand-spanking new and not credentialed with any insurance companies. One of our other MDs has volunteered to sign off on her patients for her so we can bill under her until the new MD is credentialed. I don't think this is kosher since they are both MDs, and have told my manager so, but does anyone know for sure? And if so, does anyone know where I can find this in writing so I can bring it to my manager to show her that it definitely is or is not okay? Thanks a lot!

Kelley
    Last edited by KellRey; 08-01-2011 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KellRey View Post
    Hi everyone,

We have a new MD starting at our practice who unfortunately is brand-spanking new and not credentialed with any insurance companies. One of our other MDs has volunteered to sign off on her patients for her so we can bill under her until the new MD is credentialed. I don't think this is kosher since they are both MDs, and have told my manager so, but does anyone know for sure? And if so, does anyone know where I can find this in writing so I can bring it to my manager to show her that it definitely is or is not okay? Thanks a lot!

Kelley
    If you search through the forums you will see where this has been addressed many times along with the citation from CMS. Sorry I do not have the link. The answer is no you may not bill a physician incident to another physician. The visits will be out of network and the patient must be informed prior to the encounter.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H

Similar Threads

1. Mds and aml
    By luvhisrom in forum Hematology/Oncology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2015, 11:14 AM
  2. mds' idea of a diagnosis
    By kathleen heiman-randolph in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2014, 01:05 PM
  3. Administration of Decitabine (Dacogen) for MDS-238.75
    By edean in forum Hematology/Oncology
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 03:49 PM
  4. e-MDs Software review
    By joglesbee in forum EMR/EHR Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 05:06 AM
  5. Anemia associated with MDS - how do you code?
    By scicchitanoa in forum Diagnosis Coding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-11-2009, 08:20 AM