toe amputation-bone frag- for crystal analysis

Default toe amputation-bone frag- for crystal analysis
    Medical Coding Books
    Clinical data is Gout
    1st and 2nd specimens are fragments of 4th toe toe amputation, however the 3rd specimen is a bone fragment of 4th toe and tissue submitted entirely for crystal analysis.
    Final Dx: Negatively birefringent crystals consistent w/ monosodium urate.
    Doctor wants to charge 88305.

What code can be charged here? Not sure if what was actually performed here was a 89060- Crystal identification-

Any feedback is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If the bone fragment was examined grossly and microscopically, and a diagnosis was based on that, then this is most accurately described as 88304, a bone fragment other than for pathologic fracture.

If the entire specimen was processed for 89060, then this was not a surgical pathology specimen.
    WK

Thanks for your feedback...
    His response to me was "I DID DO AN ALCOHOL FIXED ANALYSIS OF SLIDE C FOR CRYSTALS AND RESULTS REPORTED AS C/W MONOSODIUM URATE".
    He wants to charge a 88305 for evaluating the crystals on the slide. It sounds to me like a 89060- but he is aware of the 89060 description & says that is not what he performed.

No bone was examined- so I can't suggest that CPT unfortunately- I've hit a brick wall!

This is not an unlisted specimen. If he insists it should be coded 88305, ask him which definition of 88305 is applicable. 88300-88309 refers to tissue(s) submitted for pathologic diagnosis.

Good luck,
    WK
    Surgical Pathology Coding Blog

Similar Threads

1. Toe amputation
    By Nkeith in forum Compliance General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-05-2015, 05:57 PM
  2. toe amputation
    By bpowell121774 in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2013, 12:40 PM