I would suggest that this is not per "nerve root[s]" but by spinal area, i.e., cervical (63045), 63046 (thoracic), lumbar (63047), and additional segments in addition to those (63048).
The description which carries through all includes the phrase "nerve root[s]". Therefore, it would not be appropriate to use the code multiple times based upon the number of nerve roots.
Since the description also includes "unilateral and bilateral," it would be inappropriate to code one of these twice, except for 63048 when necessary.
Hope that helps.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join