AAPC - Back to school
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: MedAssurant-Coding from Home

AAPC: Back to School
    Coding Source
    I know are all hiring remote coders right now.
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE
    Manager Audit and Compliance

Smile I love it

I have worked for them since mid June and I am out of the preceptor program at first even during my preceptor program I did not normally work an hour during the day, I stayed in contact with my preceptor through email mostly we had some conversations during the week. When I first started I worked another job that required 40 hours a week. I find it to be very flexible. I have 2 meetings a month with my lead for 30 minutes to an hour and he likes to keep up with you at least through email to know how things are going. As with any job it might be for you or it might not. You will always hear good and bad things about a company every person has their own take on things. For myself it is great no daycare and saving a lot of money in gas is great too...

Default medassurant

I just had my secondary phone interview with them and will hear back next week, monday or tuesday. Yeah!!! I hope I can do this plus work my job. any feedback is welcome.

Default MedAssurant

completed the training, scored 100% on my test, everyone was very nice. I resigned last week, these are the reason why; I was unable to be available for 40 hours per week in addition to my current position of 40 hours with my local job. I was unable to set aside 1 hour each day (during EST business hours) to speak with my preceptor. I was unable to attend the weekly meetings (1 hour) with my lead coder, and 1 hour with the team leader. I cannot quit my full time day job with out the security of knowing there will be enough work to work me and pay me for 40 hours. ###The real kicker is they REQUIRE that you sign a NON COMPETE contract. The contract states that you cannot work for another coding company that performs ANY of the same services that MedAssurant does for a 2 Year period after you no longer work for them.### I completed 30 hours of training, passed the test and completed 3 reviews for them. It is my understanding that I will not be paid because I will not sign (on advice from an employment attorney) the non compete contract. (Read through ALL of your paperwork). I performed reviews for them, without sending in the paperwork, I had not signed the privacy policy, HIPAA agreement etc. I feel that this is not good business practice. Other than these issues, I would have loved to work for them. The laptop and scanner was nice, the reports were legible and the people were friendly.
    If you have ever had experience with a NON COMPETE contract, it would give you personal insight. Think about this..if they only have 10 hours of work for you to do in a weeks time, wouldn't you want to suppliment your income? How can you maintain two 40 hour per week jobs? You HAVE to be available to them for 40 hours, you are on stand by. You do not know if you have work until you upload, then download to capture the jobs that are out there. If someone beats you to it, they get the jobs. If you do not get through all of your download, the charts are "sucked" back into the system. There is no way to secure what you download unless you sit down and perform the reviews immediately. You would not be able to get up early, download jobs thinking that when you get home from your full time job that they would be there. If you had a spouse that could support you and could cover the ups and downs of the hours, your only hold back would be the employment contract. The contract also states that your employment status is "at will employment", if you do not make quota, or accuracy and you are terminated, you would not be able to legally find another remote position performing CMS-HCC audits, HEDIS, and others. OUCH!

Wow! Has anyone else run into these "fine print" issues ICode4U mentions in her post? It seems like most people who post here have just started to work for MedAssurant or are in the testing phase. Any longer-term people who can weigh in on this? Thanks to all of you who are sharing your experiences...good and bad!

i had posted this on another thread, so here it is.

YOU are absolutely correct. Do not find yourself working for people like this. Years ago, I was a insurance adjuster and traveled. We had to sign a contract for a company stating we would not work for another, while employed by them. No money to be inclusive to them only---but we were sent on the road to a job. Once there, we were left with no work because another company stole their contract. We were left hanging. Well to make a long story short, about 7 of us got together, and turned them into the labor board, and filed a formal complaint. As it turned out, their contract was not worth the paper written on, and we were being held as their sole prisoner to not work for their competition. So please---please if you are concerned and have issues with this company, make copies of these boards, and everything you see from other coders about this company and save them for your own personal need. Call your labor board and quiz them about laws of you signing a contract inclusive to them, and being held accountable to them when work runs out. It might some day turn into a class-action lawsuit to be able to get out of your contracts or if they persue holding you accountable and suing you in return.

Smile MedAssurant

I just got hired by MedAssurant, I begin training 8/25. I'm excited and thanks to the reviews/comments I read on this forum, it helped me feel good about my decision.

Why does MedAssurant have such a big turnover...it seems like they HIRE and FIRE coders everyday...I know a coder that just started with them and just got fired...She said they are horrible when it comes to customer service...she also said they're so helpful and friendly in the beginning and later turn on you...has anyone experienced this?

I have never worked for them but have friends who "did" they were either fired after only a few months or quit as they were not being treated well.

I hope things turn out better for some of the new hires.
    Kelly Long CPC, CFE
    Manager Audit and Compliance

Quote Originally Posted by kishacajun View Post
    Why does MedAssurant have such a big turnover...it seems like they HIRE and FIRE coders everyday...I know a coder that just started with them and just got fired...She said they are horrible when it comes to customer service...she also said they're so helpful and friendly in the beginning and later turn on you...has anyone experienced this?

Yes, I experienced this. They are nice and helpful in the beggining and then they turn on you. My preceptor so was nice and helpful, she was so impressed with my ability to meet their chart quota after only being employed there for 2 weeks. She always told me how good of a job that I was doing and told me that if I didn't hear anything from her, not to worry. I was always concerned about how I was doing and the only way I found out is if I called her. Then low and behold in the end she did a 360 on me. So my advice to you is to be very careful with them and do not get too comfortable because they have no problems getting rid of you.