Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

MedAssurant-Coding from Home

Red face
    Medical Coding Books
    I understand that not EVERYONE who works for MedAssurant is getting or experiencing bad vibes, but the ones who are can't be making it up. I like others have read ALL the post about MedAssurant and was a little leery about them. I have been employed with them for almost a month - I have NEVER EVER had a job where I felt like this. They should have gotten the kinks out a LONG time ago, they treat new employees very rudely. For example, there were 25 people in my training class, not everyone past the test after training. I scored a 90% the first time and then a 98% the second time, so YES, I did pay attention to the training. BUT - the ones that got the job, some of us are going thru hell. Granted we are STILL in training and being treated unfairly.

In my personal opinion - I think the ones who are posting GOOD things about MedAssurant are just very lucky and have a good team working with them or they are actually the perceptors and/or the leads.

Still trying to hang in there.

2. Default My experience
    Has been mixed. I'm out of the preceptor program and have a new Lead. So far the stress is being told that I'm doing a great job no errors and so on that am and then my Lead calls that afternoon saying I'm going to slow and what's the problem. The problem was I had to attend a funeral and was off for a week but caught up to the best of my ability when I returned.
    So it's touch and go and 3 months going so far.

Default Medassurant
    I've been with this company since Sept 15, 2008. The training was long and boring, but understandable, if that's a word. The information in training was too much for the average person to grasp in 30 hours. I didn't like the fact that you gave up a whole week for training but wouldn't get paid if you didn't pass the exam. I passed the exam the second time around, but felt badly for the people who didn't. I've had no problems with work or anything. It DOES MATTER what team you're on. I had one of the best preceptors that didn't mind going over something in the chart or a signature I wasn't sure of. You have some that act as if you are suppsose to know everything out of the gate. My lead is just as kind. I actually graduated to overreads in my 5th week. I thought that was a little fast, but was told some people stay in preceptorship up to 12 weeks. I'm going on my 2nd month. I hope everything stays like this, I'll be fine. My goal was to stay employed until Christmas, but the way things are looking, I'll make it til' income tax time. With all that said, I'm still not quitting my day job.

4. Default
    Encouraging to hear, Lekishak. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted!

Default medassurant
    I worked for Medassurant and thought it was great at first....I was out of the preceptor program by about three weeks and they started training me to do overreads. Two weeks later, they told me that I wasn't meeting my error rate and they had to let me go.....I was miffed, as they tried to tell me that I had errors on certain charts, but I have the emails to prove that I was informed by my team lead to do things the way they had been done. Needless to say, I don't recommend seeking employment there. I have since moved on and have an awesome job contract coding from homw and I love it!!!!

Default Lucky One
    ok supergirl, help a sister out. How did you find you're awesome contract deal working from home? I've been searching for ever with no luck what so ever

7. Default
    I have a question for those who work at MedAssurant--I currently work for them as a site data collector but now that I have my CPC-A I am eligible to change to reviewer. As a new grad (I have my Associate's in HIT and will take the RHIT exam in December) is this way out of my league?

I am happy right now as a data collector but would like better experience. At the same time I am afraid after reading some of the stories on here. Advice?

dforfar: In my opinion, I would say that yes it would be out of your league. Not to be mean, just realistic, Medassurant's style of coding is "hard" for someone who has been coding day in and day out for several years. This is b/c of how absolutely specific they want everything coded. Combo codes and highly specific codes are to be used on every chart you will be reviewing. I'm not sure what your experience is, but just going with what you said (cpc-a and associates, etc.) I would say stick with the position you are at. If I were to assume, I'd also say the site reviewer position is probably more "stable" than the remote coder also. Once you become a remote coder, you will enter into the touch-and-go realm that so many have posted about on here...the highly expendable employee that they can fire at the drop of a hat. just my opinion...

9. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by veggiecow View Post
    dforfar: In my opinion, I would say that yes it would be out of your league. Not to be mean, just realistic, Medassurant's style of coding is "hard" for someone who has been coding day in and day out for several years. This is b/c of how absolutely specific they want everything coded. Combo codes and highly specific codes are to be used on every chart you will be reviewing. I'm not sure what your experience is, but just going with what you said (cpc-a and associates, etc.) I would say stick with the position you are at. If I were to assume, I'd also say the site reviewer position is probably more "stable" than the remote coder also. Once you become a remote coder, you will enter into the touch-and-go realm that so many have posted about on here...the highly expendable employee that they can fire at the drop of a hat. just my opinion...
    No, not mean at all That's the information I was looking for! I am fine in my current position, and the big concern I had was that I would get into a remote position without much support. I am still looking for a coding position in a facility as I study for my RHIT. I am a good coder for a newbie, but I also know enough to know how much I still need to learn. Thanks for the help!

10. Default
    Quote Originally Posted by dforfar View Post
    I have a question for those who work at MedAssurant--I currently work for them as a site data collector but now that I have my CPC-A I am eligible to change to reviewer. As a new grad (I have my Associate's in HIT and will take the RHIT exam in December) is this way out of my league?

I am happy right now as a data collector but would like better experience. At the same time I am afraid after reading some of the stories on here. Advice?
    dforar-
    I currently work for MedAssurant as a remote coder. I wouldn't say that it is out of your league. I started with my CPC-A and am doing fine. They give pretty specific training on what is expected and how they want you to code. If you are a good coder, it shouldn't be a problem.

I hear all of these posts about lack of work, firing without reason, lack of helpful management and so forth. All I can do is speak for my own personal experience, and I can say I have not experienced any of this. So I guess it's just luck on the type of lead you get. But if it's something you want to do, I wouldn't be afraid that it is out of your league. Especially because it's a good way to gain experience. But good luck with whatever you choose!