AAPC - Back to school

Thread: What are offices paying

Topeka, KS

Default What are offices paying

AAPC: Back to School
    I am in charge of the billing operations of a 16 provider, multi-specialty practice in rural/suburban Kansas. We are 120 miles from any major cities. I am trying to get a handle on what offices in similar settings are paying their coders. Our administrator shares some information, but I question it's accuracy. Our pay scale is lower than the national averages, and the averages for our state per AAPC. I believe part of that is because our state includes two major cities that I know pay more than our area. So, what do others pay their coders? Please share location demographics as this does play into it. Thanks. Tracy

Dover Seacoast New Hampshire

Our certified coders make between $14.00-29.00 per hour, depending on experience, specialty and longevity. We're in a centralized billing/coding office, though--not at the practice locations. We code for a 90+ provider, multi-specialty hospital-owned physician corporation.

We're in Dover, NH, about 65 miles north of Boston, MA. New England has much higher salaries than a lot of areas, because the cost of living is very high.

Hope this helps.
    Pam Brooks, MHA, CPC, PCS, COC
    Coding Manager
    Wentworth-Douglass Hospital
    Dover, NH 03820

If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney

Daytona/Orlando Florida

We are located just 20mins west of Orlando, Fla., From my experience a single doctors office in this area is any where from $14-$20 depending on experience. I have seen alot of jobs posted with $12-$15 and they want you to have exp/cert. So I really think is just depends on the practice around here. I have also seen jobs posted in large groups/hospitals for around the same $12-$15.
    Diana S. Garrison, CPC
    Client Services Manager
    RCM Professionals, LLC