AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Having trouble with CPC exam

Unhappy Help! Having trouble with CPC exam

AAPC: Back to School
    I am having trouble passing the CPC exam and last time was so close with a 66%. I am wondering if anyone knows of any good forums or places around Little Rock area to find people who may be wlling to help someone struggling with the exam? any and all help would be appreciated .. thanks!

Culver City

The CPC® Coding Exam Review 2011: The Certification Step (CPC Coding Exam Review: Certification Step) [Paperback] by Carol help me pass. What is your email address so that I can send you some helpful materials.

Brian C. Huguez, CPC

I took the CPC for the first time, and got a 69. I was so bummed!! But I am retaking it in September. The reviews on line cost money, but I have found they are very close in difficulty to the CPC. I am going to do the review excercises, and the pracitce tests, and hopefully pass this time. Try Rite Code, and google free codingi quizzes.

Quote Originally Posted by huguezbrian View Post
    The CPC® Coding Exam Review 2011: The Certification Step (CPC Coding Exam Review: Certification Step) [Paperback] by Carol help me pass. What is your email address so that I can send you some helpful materials.

Brian C. Huguez, CPC
    I also failed the exam.I took it in June.Please help'

1) Skip the index and go straight to the tabular to look up the four options that you are given

2) Skip long and difficult questions on the exam (and bubble sheet) and go back to them at the end if you have time.

3) When guessing make an educated one. Ex: If you are in the musculoskeletal section (20000 codes) your answer will likely have a 20000 code listed

4) Knowing some med term and anatomy can hepl you more than you think

5) A lot of the correct answers have codes that are repeated in at least two of the options with only a slight variation (Ex: Option A and B may be identical except A has a modifier and B does not)

6) 95% of the question have the answer some where in one of the manuals. Read your guidelines and know your modifiers!

7) Google "CPC practice exam", there are a lot of free and cheap practice out there and practice is the best way to study

There's a good practice exam here (150 questions for $19.99) http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalc...cticeexam.html

Good luck to everyone, keep trying!

Default CPC Exam coming up in October

Thank you, Kristy! I have just passed my training with Allied Schools, and I am now preparing for my CPC in October. Today was the first time I actually had time to come and look at the AAPC site and all that it has to offer, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Thank you for sharing these CPC hints with all of us. I'm glad to know that there are people close by who can help when I get stuck.

Have a great day,
    Jannie Ernst

I took my CPC and I did pass the first time. I really agree with Kristy's advice, especially where she suggested to skip the index and go right to the tabular. It is the opposite of the way you are supposed to code but because the exam is timed and you don't have much time per question, it is much easier to "rule out" than to look everything up.

Default cpc exam

I have a great mock test which is very close to actual test. If anyone is interested in it send me a email. juwannahelms@yahoo.com. It will help for practice. I passed first time with 80% .

Rochester NY

Agreed, I also passed the 1st time. Since you're not "cold coding" - there is no need at all to look in the Index. You need to see the descriptions of the codes quickly.

Be VERY careful if you skip a question. Make sure you skip that bubble line on our grid or your ENTIRE test is going to be wrong!!! Use extreme caution in skipping.

I proctored an exam recently and i had several people that did not finish and they wanted to hand the exam in with 20 or so blank bubbles. If you run out of time, just guess!!! Just fill in a bubble, because you have a 25% chance of it being right. I also have read that B is a popular guess. I am not sure why that is, but I suppose if you have to guess, just fill all the bubbles in with the same choice.

Good luck
    A. Judd

2013 President, Flower City Professional Coders
    2012 Vice President, Flower City Coders local Chapter
    2011 Member Development Officer, local chapter

"You cannot truly listen to anyone and do anything else at the same time." M. Scott Peck

Oklahoma City Oklahoma

I also used the CPC Coding Exam Review book by Carol J Buck to study with and when it came time for the actual test, I used the methods Kristy posted. There is just not enough time to look up the codes properly so you have to cut corners. I managed to pass on the first try, so thank God it worked. I wish you the best on your exam!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast