AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Advice on office visit

Default Advice on office visit

AAPC: Back to School
    I work for a podiatry practice and recently ran into a situation that I disagree with. the doctor said she wants it coded a certain way even though we both know it is not correct.
    Situation: patient comes and sees an MA for custom orthotic casting. Dr. was not present in office was actually doing a surgery off site. The MA also did an x-ray because the doctor wanted her to. a 99211 was originally billed amongst other codes, but she wants a 99213 billed instead stating an x-ray was done even though she was not here
    Also important to note, the Dr. is close friends with the patient and states she talked to her after hours so she can charge the visit this way!
    I just want to know if I am off base or other's opinions!

According to the eight-count indictment in their case, Beltre and Alana violated several of the health care programs’ rules, including regulations that the billing doctor be on site for all medical procedures.

Update your resume and start looking for employment elsewhere. This situation doesn't sound like it will end well.

If you bill for something knowing it is incorrect, you can be held liable along with the dr, which in some cases you could face fines and possible jail time depending on the severity of fraud. Also, if you allow for something to be billed and knowingly let it go through you can be held accountable as well. I agree, update your resume.

Similar Threads

1. advice on office visit
    By sune626 in forum Podiatry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 09:13 AM
  2. advice on office visit
    By sune626 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 08:51 AM
  3. Billing a New preventive visit with a new or established office visit
    By ttcoding in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 02:14 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM
  5. any advice on emergency office visit for psychiatry?
    By kcostigan in forum Behavioral Health
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 02:53 PM