Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Need help passing the CPC exam

1. Default CPC Exam Tutor
    Exam Training Packages
    Hi
    I need a tutor for the CPC exam I did purchase the 2014 CPC exam book and not one of the questions was on the test I took this past week. I have been coding for several years in Home Care and a Claims Analyst for over 30 years. But, I am still missing something I completed an On-Line AAPC coding course and still I am not sure about the test I just took. I live in the Detroit area and can be reached at 313-808-5983

2. Default CPC Prep
    Hello, I am taking my CPC exam on 11/12/2016. My professor was suppose to prep me for the exam and not able to now. I don't feel that I have enough training from the school and need help. I have the CPC exam book but need someone to guide me with some questions. Is there anyone that can help me in Charleston, SC? I have been studying on a daily base but really won't be prepared for it unless I have one on one. Thanks!

3. Default Re: Need help passing the CPC exam
    I recently took the CPC this past March. I took a practice exam and failed, but was able to pass the real CPC because I corrected mistakes I made when I took the practice exam. Your biggest obstacle to passing the CPC is time...I truly do not think the allotted time for the exam is enough to pass the exam if you answer the questions in 1, 2, 3...order. You have 5 1/2 hours for 150 questions, which is approximately 2 minutes for each question....

You will have about 10 questions...usually in the back of the exam related to the "business aspects" of coding. An example of such a question would be,"Which statement below describes a medically necessary service?" You will have four options for an answer...the whole exam is multiple choice.

I started in the back of the test with these easier questions. I filled in my answers on the scantron and then in the test book, I marked what answer I put and checked the question off so I knew I had done that one. I then proceeded through the rest of the exam by answering the coding questions that only had one code for the answer, then went to questions that only had two codes for an answer and so on....

You take up a lot of time just looking up the different codes, so you will save yourself time and have a higher probability of a correct answer if you go through the test booklet and answer the simpler coding questions first (and by simpler, I don't necessarily mean easier, I mean the ones where the answer is only one code). Make sure you mark in your test booklet the ones you answer so you don't get confused when filling in the answers on your scantron.

As you go through the test answering questions first that only have one code answers, then two code answers, then three code answers, etc, etc, trust your instincts and don't overthink or second-guess yourself because that will eat up your time as well. Put a question mark next to ones you want to come back to and if you have time when you get through with what you can answer, you can go back to those.

The people proctoring the exam will keep you updated on your time and when it gets to only a few minutes left, go back to any you have not answered and just choose an answer. Don't leave any answers blank. You have a 1 in 4 chance of getting a right answer vs none if you leave it blank. Also, keep in mind that you have to pass a certain % of each section and if in one section you don't pass that %, it is my understanding you fail the whole exam. The skipping around strategy will also help improve your odds of not leaving a large area of a section unanswered, thus decreasing your chance of not meeting the % threshold for that section.

You are allowed only to take your ICD, CPT and HCPCS books into the exam, but you can have as many notes written inside the books as you want. However, you cannot take any other note pads, nor can you have loose pieces of paper inside the books with notes on them.

The AAPC forum has lots of threads on tips for taking the CPC, so check out some of those as well.

Good luck! :-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12