AAPC - Back to school
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help passing the CPC exam

Default Need help passing the CPC exam

AAPC: Back to School
    I am looking for someone in the Canton, Ga area that can help me with the exam. It can be a medical facility, that will let me sit with the coders, or someone that has passed the exam, and wants to tutor. Got to pass this exam.

Oklahoma City Oklahoma

I'm not from Canton, GA but I took the CPC exam in June and passed on the first try. What helped me is I got a CPC Coding Exam Review (2011) book by Carol J Buck. The book covers everything that you are going to find on the actual test. You can find it on Amazon pretty cheap. I hope this helps!

St. Louis, MO

Default Not in GA

I am not in GA but am willing to talk on the phone and give you some pointers. Another place you might look is: www.codingcertification.org
    She has some great helpful hints.

Send me a note if you want to talk via phone.
    Alicia Scott, CPC, CPC-I, CRC
    Educational Director, CCO.us,
    Have a Passion for Coding

Default cpc exam

I am not from your area but i want to help you....if you feel free you can contact me on skype so i can give u advice through video calling ..my id is ksanjeev7. I am from india, i passed my cpc april 2010.

Thumbs up

I took and passed the exam in 2008. I live in Florida but would be happy to pass on any tips that may help you. lboyne27@verizon.net
    I went to the site that Alicia (above) mentioned and it looks quite helpful!
    Last edited by Lorraine E. Olencki; 08-10-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Default Passing the CPC Exam

I took and passed the exam this past June. There are two things that helped enormously.
    The first is that I put post-it notes on every 20 pages or so giving the span of codes in those 20 pages. Example: 60927 - 72801---and so forth. This prevented me from having to spend precious time flipping through pages to find the codes.

For the med-term questions, I was able to answer these correctly by finding a blank space in the CPT book and making a list of all the diagrams of the body systems and the page #s where they could be found. Example: Ear - pg. 291, Hands & Feet - pgs. 342 & 343

The last bit of advice I can give you is to start at the back of the exam and work your way to the beginning. The questions in the back are easier to answer and take less time.

Good luck!!!

I am looking for someone to help me by giving me pointers on what I am doing wrong or what I need to get to study to pass this test.. This is depressing I have been in the Medical field for years and dont know what I am doing wrong on this test please help.
    Last edited by sharmon.moore@yahoo.com; 09-01-2011 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Need help on taking the test

Default Help Passing the CPC Exam

1) Skip the index and go straight to the tabular to look up the four options that you are given

2) Skip long and difficult questions on the exam (and bubble sheet) and go back to them at the end if you have time.

3) When guessing make an educated one. Ex: If you are in the musculoskeletal section (20000 codes) your answer will likely have a 20000 code listed

4) Knowing some med term and anatomy can hepl you more than you think

5) A lot of the correct answers have codes that are repeated in at least two of the options with only a slight variation (Ex: Option A and B may be identical except A has a modifier and B does not)

6) 95% of the question have the answer some where in one of the manuals. Read your guidelines and know your modifiers!

7) Google "CPC practice exam", there are a lot of free and cheap practice out there (and practice is the best way to study).

There's a good practice exam here (150 questions for $19.99) http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalc...cticeexam.html

Good luck to you and don't give up!

Red face Thanks

Thanks for you reply my problem is knowing how to look up the code which do I look up 1st on the exam: A,B,C,D when I am looking for answers to like questions saying Flatfoot- I look in the back of the book but some of the def is not there. My trouble is more in the CPT book not the ICD-9. Have any pointer on the way I should look up things in the CPT book?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast