Thread: Medicaid plans denying cath codes

Question Medicaid plans denying cath codes

Promo: Code Books
    Hi all!

Lately I've noticed that the PUP, Freedom, and UHC Medicaid plans have been denying my cath codes (ie: 93458-26) as "not eligible charge" or "not Medicare allowed".

I heard somewhere that they don't want the -26 modifier. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks!

I always bill our caths with a 26 bc we do them in the hospital so we can't bill the global code. Is the cath being done with a stent or PTCA? If so, then you need to append modifier - 59 to the heart cath.
    Julie Graham, BA, CPC, CCC

Thanks for your reply.

No it's not a -59 issue, they are denying caths by themselves. That's why I don't want to remove the -26 b/c how would they know that it's not global since it's done at the hospital.

Similar Threads

1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2015, 11:21 AM
  2. Medicaid Plans (Gateway) in PA
    By rthames052006 in forum Payer/Health Plan
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 08:54 AM
  3. SC Medicaid denying 99336 to POS 13
    By Peter Davidyock in forum Payer/Health Plan
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2013, 01:12 PM