I look at MDM as what goes into making the treatment / medical management decision.
Reporting back to the referring doctor, in most cases, does not effect the decision making ... i.e. the decision on how to treat, or what additional tests to order has been made, and the physician is reporting back to the referring doctor. Whether that is done only with a written report, or done via a phone call or even in person is immaterial. This kind of communication is not part of making the decision. So I would NOT give 2 data points for these circumstances.
Hope that helps.
F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join