AAPC - Back to school

Thread: New to ER coding... where would I find the guidelines?

Smile New to ER coding... where would I find the guidelines?

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi all,

I am new to coding ER charts and was wondering if anyone could tell me if ER has it's own set of guidelines and rules and where I can find them!

Default Er coding

I have been coding ER charts for four years now. The best place to find the guidelines is in the cpt professional edition. Starting on page 19 under Emergency Deptartment Services. Be sure to read Other Emergency Services Critical Care Services. Depending on the location of your hospital you may or maynot use these codes infrequently. Many services are bundled into Critical Care and you need to be aware of these services.
    My only other piece of advice would be: if it's not documented it didn't happen. This is true for any coding, but resist adding to what is documented, even if it "seems" to be something that the Dr. or nurse would do. Never assume!
    I enjoy ER coding! It is always interesting and I learn something new every day.

Good Luck!

North Carolina

For Medicare purposes, refer to section:

30.6.11 - Emergency Department Visits (Codes 99281 - 99288)

The ACEP offers ED coding information:

North Carolina

I forgot about this link.

Similar Threads

1. Help! Cannot find coding jobs!
    By prttygrl177@yahoo.com in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-24-2012, 08:57 PM
  2. What Is The Best Way to Find Coding Jobs?
    By Brandster in forum Resume Postings
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 07:30 AM
  3. How can you find a Coding Job?
    By mplappert in forum Employment General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-15-2009, 04:46 PM