if you search the forums for "Time-based coding" you will find lots of useful posts.
In short, it is possible to bill based on time if the time was face-to-face, medically necessary, and well documented with respect to topics/issues discussed and their relevance to patient care. CMS documentation notes that start time and end time be included in the record.
Have to check to see the amount of time associated with 99214. If a provider wishes to bill based on time, the amount of time spent must match with the type of office visit with the same amount of associated time.
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join