Dx code from HPI/ROS

Default Dx code from HPI/ROS
    Medical Coding Books
    When coding notes, if the MD doesn't include diagnoses from the HPI and/or ROS in the Impression/Plan is it justifiable to include them?

Default Dx code from HPI/ROS
    If the provider only mentions the diagnosis my question is how did he treat the diagnosis?
    did he identify the status; did he/she discuss any type of plan; did he/she examine the relavant portion indicated. If one only mentions a disease and did nothing about it then the record speaks for itself--nothing was done - nothing is given.
    Pluto2349

Quote Originally Posted by Gwendolyn Darrell View Post
    If the provider only mentions the diagnosis my question is how did he treat the diagnosis?
    did he identify the status; did he/she discuss any type of plan; did he/she examine the relavant portion indicated. If one only mentions a disease and did nothing about it then the record speaks for itself--nothing was done - nothing is given.
    e.g. Pt being seen for f/u cancer. HPI/ROS oral thrush given rx by pcp, hypertension given meds by other md. Impression/Plan: Hold chemo, complete course of rx, see other md for hypertension.

In this case, I guess we should code cancer primary dx and you can add others as secondary dx because cancer is what doc is following up and treating. I guess doc is an oncologist too.

HTH.
    Girish Dadhich, CPC

Similar Threads

1. HPI vs ROS
    By tlewiscpc in forum E/M
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2013, 10:07 AM
  2. Ros in hpi???
    By jifnif in forum E/M
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-23-2013, 09:20 AM
  3. Help with HPI and ROS