AAPC - Back to school

Thread: General Surgery Group

Default General Surgery Group

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi All,

I have been hired to do set up, billing/coding for a General Surgery group. my understanding is that most of the surgery's will take place at the hospital, kind of like their own surgery center. I have no clue how to set up a group as far as NPI's PTAN's and Tax ID's and I'm confused on how my HCFA 1500 should look as a group. I have only billed for professional services for individual providers....Can someone educate me on this please !!!!

Desperate need of help !

Hi there:

I think you need to talk with the surgeon groups administrator or the person that helped negiotiate the relationship between the surgery group and the hospital. Explain you need to know the surgeon's status with the hospital--this will help you determine what you need to do. You could also check with the professional credentialing department at the hospital. They may or may not be of help to you but are certainly familiar with credenitaling.

Best of luck.

Sounds like you are billing the professional charges. The group should have a tax id and NPI. You would put group information in box 33 and individual info in 24 J. Box 32 would be the place of service such as hospital or ASC.

Similar Threads

1. General Surgeons and PQRS Measure Group
    By medicalsec in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 11:24 AM
  2. General Surgery Group
    By bill2doc in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-01-2011, 07:53 AM
  3. General Surgery Group
    By bill2doc in forum General Surgery
    Replies: 1