AAPC - Back to school

Thread: Inpatient Medicare Pnuemonia ICD-9 Coding Guidance Sought

Default Inpatient Medicare Pnuemonia ICD-9 Coding Guidance Sought

AAPC: Back to School
    Hi All! :-) I realize this may seem really simple to most of you, and maybe I'm just "brain blocked" on this matter, but I hope someone can help! I am a seasoned CPC and CCS BUT a newbie "CDIS" and am "auditing" documentation of already billed charts, selecting those that need 're-addressing. I have a question about how to code a "pneumonia" diagnosis for an inpatient stay, which may or may not impact the DRG, so need to know that too! The sputum culture reports both "gram negative anaerobes" (482.81) and "trace E coli" (481.82); do I code both? Does it matter? This is a Medicare patient, though i guess that's obvious as i chose this forum! :-)

You can not code based off a sputum culture alone. The physician needs to document that the pneumonia is due to anaerobes.

Refer to Coding Clinic, Second Quarter 1998 Page: 4 to 5

As to the DRG, 482.81 and 482.82 both produce DRG 179, (this is without further documentation or CC/MCCs) it doesn't effect the DRG whether you code both or just one.

It is a higher DRG amount than 195 (simple pneumonia)
    Last edited by cordelia; 08-23-2011 at 02:47 PM.

Similar Threads

1. ICD-9 Coding professional fees on inpatient stays
    By bjw1980 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-12-2014, 08:13 AM
  2. Suggestions Sought on best way to introduce ICD-10 to the office billers
    By ollielooya in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 05:06 PM