AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RHIT Certification

Carmel, New York

Default RHIT is more than coding

AAPC: Back to School
    RHIT/RHIA cover the entire spectrum of the health information management spectrum - coding, record management, statistics and other similar subject. Hence why a candidate needs to complete a 2 or 4 year degree in the field. If you are looking to strictly code, then the CCS is best. CCS covers your mastery of all types of hospital coding - inpatient, outpatient, ED and other services such as chemo. CCS-P is strictly physician-based and is very similar to the CPC. I have had the RHIT and CCS-P long before I ever heard of the CPC. No regrets, but now that I have seen that both organizations have thier good points, I belong to both. I am even sitting for the CEMC exam in October, since I now do E/M audits for all our practices.

Good Luck!

Lance Smith, MPA, RHIT, CCS-P, CHC

Default Rhit

I graduated iwith an AAS/HIM in May of this year and passed the RHIT exam in June. In my search for a job, I am finding that the facilities want CCS. And of course the 2 to 3 years of experience. It is a never ending circle. I am not happy with the advice I have been given in order to find a job. The advice is "take any position to get your foot in the door". How many other professions do you know of that give that kind of advice to a new graduate? I would like to know where the mentors are. The people who teach these courses. Some are HIT managers. Just seems to me, if they are going to teach a course, at least mentor a few students.

Salt Lake South Valley

Default Rhit

Wow, lots of great advice and help. I'm glad I keep looking on this thread, thanks so much for all the posts everyone! I can't seem to get replies from people at my local university where AHIMA referred me to, so this is very helpful...I now have a starting point! YAY!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12