Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RHIT Certification

1. Smile RHIT Certification
    Medical Coding Books
    I received my CPC certification in November 2010 after attending a 14 month medical coding course at a local career center. I was wondering if anyone out there had gone back and gotten an RHIT degree/certification after getting their CPC. Did this seem to make it any easier to get a coding job? Some job openings I've seen ask for both.

I have my associates degree in Health Information and I have my CPC credential. I have been out of school for 4 years and I am now studying to take the RHIT exam. I think that having your RHIT credential makes you more marketable. Also, alot of employers are looking at candidates for employment that do have their RHIT/RHIA credential.

Good luck to you if you decide to go that route.
    Sonya Boyd, CPC

3. Default RHIT Certification
    I finished the RHIT program last October but haven't taken the exam yet. The problem I am seeing with coding positions is across the board, they want to see experience.
    Problem with getting experience coding is they want you to have experience coding before hiring you. Sound familiar ? I am going to be working for a company scanning medical records in hospitals as a subcontract position. All of the coding jobs I have seen are looking for RNs; at present I am not sure what the use of my RHIT degree is but I suppose there are hospitals that acknowledge that degree. Or so I've heard.

I have found that I'm getting turned down for several jobs and I have experience working in a hospital coding enviroment. I am going to get my RHIT certification, as that's the reason I'm being turned down for the jobs I'm trying to get. And the thing is I have the experience and training for the jobs I'm applying for, but they don't even look past the fact that I only have my CPC...they want the AHIMA credential. Can't hurt, I'm thinking.

5. Default
    Can anyone tell me the difference between the CCS and the RHIT? I read that the CCS is more of a mastery level where as the RHIT is more of an entry-level certification - is this correct? I've only read this 1 place so I wasn't sure if it was accurate. You have to have an associates degree for the RHIT, correct? Any other info on the differences between the 2 certifications is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6. Default
    Hello,

Yes, you are correct, you have to complete an Ahima accredited HIM Program in order to sit for the RHIT exam. You can go directly to www.ahima.org, click on certifications and it tells you the difference between each Certification they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by keke74 View Post
    Hello,

Yes, you are correct, you have to complete an Ahima accredited HIM Program in order to sit for the RHIT exam. You can go directly to www.ahima.org, click on certifications and it tells you the difference between each Certification they offer.
    What's the "accredited HIM program" you're talking about that has to be done BEFORE the RHIT?

8. Default
    Hello,

Ahima has a list of schools on their website that are CAHIM accredited Programs in which after completion your eligible to sit for the exam. You can click on the following link http://www.cahiim.org/accredpgms.asp to search for a program.

Thank you!

10. Default
    If you want to stick to strictly coding, the CCS certification is the way to go. It does not require an associtates and most programs are about a year. I have my CCS and have done a lot with it from hospital coding to traveling consultant. If your long term goal is to go into management, then you might want to look into getting your RHIT/RHIA. Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast