AAPC - Back to school

Thread: need help CPT code and POS code

blue bell

Default need help CPT code and POS code

AAPC: Back to School
    my practice is having a problem....

What code should i be using for a consult done in observation in the hospital but we r not the admitting doctor????

Also what is the P.O.S. code for it????

I have been using a new or est office level and the P.O.S. as 22.

Is anyone else out there having the same problem???

we r being denied for these claims from almost ever carrier.....

i have also tried to use new or est office levels with P.O.S. as 23 still being denied..

i am asking for any suggestion u may have, really need to get this resolved...

It is appropriate to use a new or established office visit code with a place of service 22. There shouldn't be any reason for you to be getting denials. If you are getting denials, I would suggest you appeal.

I would make sure the status of the patient wasn't changed to "in-patient" Also, some insurance companies still recognize consult codes. Be sure you are using these codes based on your payer. Otherwise, I would agree to use your new or est office codes. If using new office codes make sure the patient has not been seen with anyone in the practice/specialty within 3 years. The correct POS is 22.
    Linda Elley CPC, CPMA, CEMC

I would use codes 99241-99245 as stated in the guidlines. I would use POS code 22.

Similar Threads

1. Need Help with POS 04 CPT Code
    By gsteidel in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
  2. need help CPT code and POS code
    By bellsmom in forum Orthopaedics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 09:40 AM
  3. POS Code
    By tina62 in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 1