AAPC - Back to school
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modifiers for CPT code additional codes

AAPC: Back to School
    Read Coding edge: issue March: Article- Dr. Zielske Coding pain management of the spine. This is a very good article that gives examples as to when to use a modifier

Kansas City MO

Red face

Page 15 (xv) of the CPT Introduction section states the following:

"All Add-on codes found in the CPT codebook are exempt from the multiple procedure concept (see the modifier 51 definition in Appendix A)."

Considering the fact that you cannot use an add-on code by itself, it stands to reason that any modifier that is appended to the primary procedure automatically applies to the add-on code. I believe omitting it, especially in a post op period, or in situations where unbundling issues might be raised, could easily lead to a denial. That's my 2 or 3 cents anyway! Erin

no modifiers go on the add on code...just the main code

Quote Originally Posted by critchie View Post
    Split graft 3%, left leg, infant

CPT codes are 15100 and 15101 X 2.

Would the LT modifier go on code 15100, 15101 or both?
    Would it be this way? 15100-Lt, 15100-76-Lt

Default it is okay to use level 2 modifiers with add-on

Quote Originally Posted by cBlackwater View Post
    Don't you think students should have to read to find the answers to their assignments!
    I teach ICD-9, CPT coding and an Advanced Billing Concepts class. I encourage my students to use all available recourses in order to find the answer to any coding/billing question they are presented with during class. Considering this is the way they will be researching answers in the "real coding world".

Smile I agree

Didn't mean to sound like a "square". The post I was responding from had guidelines copied word-for-word.

Question Cpt add on codes have modifiers????

Example: The patient if a 67-year-old gentleman with metastatic colon cancer recently operated on for a brain metastasis, now for replacement of a Infuse-A-Port for continued chemotherapy. The left subclavian vein was located with the needle and a guide wire placed . This was confirmed to be in the proper position fluoroscopically. A transverse incision was made just inferior to this and a subcutaneous pocket created just inferior to this. After tunneling, the introducer was placed over the guide wire and the power port line was placed with the introducer and the introducer was peeled away. The tip was placed in the appropriate position under fluoroscopic guidance and the catheter trimmed to the appropriate length and secured to the power port device. The locking mechanism was fully engaged. The port was placed in the subcutaneous pocket and everything sat very nicely fluoroscopically. It was secured to the underlying soft tissue with 2-0 silk stitch. What code should be used for this procedure?

Default Hello Coders

I am about to graduate from school my date is October 15 I am looking forward to the coding world I have just became a AAPC member so much to learn. I would love to hear from all of you and for some much needed advice of being I new coder and where to began my new career I do want become certified and I am hoping to be able to accomplish before the end of the year

Samantha Brackin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12