Administrative

1. Default Administrative
    Medical Coding Books
    I work in very small family care office. Our office collects labs, specimens, etc. We have one test that we collect the specimen put it in a package and send it to the lab via Fed Ex. I do not make any money off this. Does anyone know of a cpt code that I should be using to allow me to collect a fee for the handling of this specimen? Any advice is very welcomed. Thanks

You can use 99000 for the handling of specimens.

Quote Originally Posted by coderforsure View Post
    I work in very small family care office. Our office collects labs, specimens, etc. We have one test that we collect the specimen put it in a package and send it to the lab via Fed Ex. I do not make any money off this. Does anyone know of a cpt code that I should be using to allow me to collect a fee for the handling of this specimen? Any advice is very welcomed. Thanks
    I agree with 99000 - it's often not covered, though.

You may be able to bill the lab procedure code with modifier 90, for certain send-out labs. I know that Aetna will allow it on paps, for example. Check with your payers for coverage guidelines for specimen collection fees.

Similar Threads

1. Coding Administrative Assistant
    By todt6030 in forum Job Postings
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2012, 09:30 AM
  2. Administrative physical
    By nc_coder in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-29-2012, 07:42 AM
  3. Administrative costs
    By pammalou in forum Medical Coding General Discussion
    Replies: 6