Diabetes Type 3

Default Diabetes Type 3
    Exam Training Packages
    How would you code diabetes type 3? Is there a code for this?

Thanks for any input
    Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ksmcnally View Post
    How would you code diabetes type 3? Is there a code for this?

Thanks for any input
    Kelly
    never heard of type 3 and there is no code in 250.XX section for type 3. I was trying to research and there is no single answer. Some people say it is a gestational diabetes, others- "brain" specific diabetes. If you are tolking about gestational diabetes then Dx is 648.8

Its not gestational, the patient is a 56 yr old male. It's the first time I've come across the Dx myself. We've had some debate between the coders here whether 250.00 or 250.60 should be used. Some say 250.00 because it's the unspecified code for diabetes. Others say 250.60 is more appropriate because the insulin deficiency is in the brain verses the pancreas. I just wanted to throw the question out there to get more feed back on the matter. Thank you for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by ksmcnally View Post
    Its not gestational, the patient is a 56 yr old male. It's the first time I've come across the Dx myself. We've had some debate between the coders here whether 250.00 or 250.60 should be used. Some say 250.00 because it's the unspecified code for diabetes. Others say 250.60 is more appropriate because the insulin deficiency is in the brain verses the pancreas. I just wanted to throw the question out there to get more feed back on the matter. Thank you for your reply!
    "Unspecified" in 250.00 means that you should use this code if note does not specify Diabetes as Type I or II. In your case you have a specific description, so you would need "other specified" code.