First, when you say ;
We just obtained an account with a lab that does drug screens for abuse
are they performing the qualitative screening, whether it's cups or analyzer and sending the specimen to a toxicology lab for confirmations?
Your other comment: never billing for a drug screening lab makes me think they may be.
If all they are performing is the qualitative screenings, all that would be billable would be : 80101 x as many drug classes if they are being tested seperately or 80104 x 1 unit if they are getting the results from one test.
The codes you listed:
Cocaine metabolites 82520
Ethyl Alcohol 82055
Quantitation of Drug NES 80299
these are all confirmation codes to be used for quanitative confirmations. (performed using LS/MS/MC)
1.Due to MUEs and methodology, the opiates (83925) are only billed once with 1 unit per day, per patient
3. the correct procedure code for Buprenorphine would also be 83925 (if it is performed usign LC/MS/MC), which would not be seperately billable; see answer to #1. (You can bill multiple lines of 83925 for each test and may even receive reimbursement, however, when the carriers do their annual audits, you will receive refund requests for each extra line billed)
4. 82570 is for the validity testing of Creatine, but validity needs to be done prior to confirmation testing, so it is a component of and not seperately billable
5. 80101 would be for a qualitative screening, 82542 would be the confirmation
A OTPT tx center can have an inhouse "lab" with a medical director, however they still usualy only perform qualitative testing. I would confirm what or how their testing is being performed before billing anything.....
- ICD-10 Trainings
- Comprehensive Courses
- CPC (Certified Professional Coder)
- COC (Certified Outpatient Coder)
- CIC (Certified Inpatient Coder) NEW!
- CRC (Certified Risk Adjustment Coder) NEW!
- CPB (Certified Professional Biller)
- CPMA (Certified Professional Medical Auditor)
- CDEO (Certified Documentation Expert – Outpatient) NEW!
- CPPM (Certified Physician Practice Manager)
- CPCO (Certified Professional Compliance Officer)
- VIEW ALL CERTIFICATIONS
Coding / Billing Solutions
- Audit / Compliance Solutions
Job Experience / Apprentice Removal
News / Discussion
- Other Resources
- Book Store
- Log In / Join