Modier 25 and diagnostic test on same day

1. Default Modier 25 and diagnostic test on same day
    Exam Training Packages
    I am new at coding for a cardiologist and he does diagnostic testing like EKGs, ECHO, TEEs, Holter monitors and Stress testing daily. Is a modifier 25 required on the E/M code for these tests since they are done on the same day? Some people say yes and others say it is not required.

Guide to use:
    “Modifier 25 is a Significant, Separately Identifiable Evaluation and Management Service by the Same Physician on the Same Day of the Procedure or Other Service.” It may be necessary to indicate that on the day a procedure or service identified by a CPT code was performed, the patient's condition required a significant, separately identifiable E/M service above and beyond the other service provided or beyond the usual preoperative and postoperative care associated with the procedure that was performed. A significant, separately identifiable E/M service is defined or substantiated by documentation that satisfies the relevant criteria for the E/M service to be reported. The E/M service may be prompted by the symptom or condition for which the procedure and/or service was provided. As such, different diagnoses are not required for reporting of the E/M services on the same date. This circumstance may be reported by adding modifier 25 to the appropriate level of E/M service. Note: This modifier is not used to report an E/M service that resulted in a decision to perform surgery. Consider the use of modifier 57. For significant, separately identifiable non-E/M services, consider the use of modifier 59.

In your example given of an EKG in addition to the E/M, I would say you do not need modifier 25 because the test (service) was a necessary part of the exam and MDM...key components of the E/M code. Another example would be an in-office urine dip to test for UTI. This was necessary for the assessment and MDM of the CC, so no modifier is needed.

To contrast: If a patient presented to the office with pain in the elbow and after a detailed history and physical exam, was diagnosed with left lateral epicondylitis requiring an injection of Aristospan, then you would append the modifier 25 to the E/M code along with the proper injection code because a service was actually performed for the TREATMENT of a diagnosis in addition to the E/M service provided that day.

My simplified rationale to understanding modifier 25 in short is: If the service (CPT code) was DIAGNOSTIC (required for the physical exam and/or MDM of the CC), then no modifier 25 is needed on the E/M code. If the service (CPT code) was actually TREATING the condition diagnosed, then modifier 25 is needed on the E/M code.

To the experts out there, am I on the right track or way off?

Quote Originally Posted by terribrown View Post
    In your example given of an EKG in addition to the E/M, I would say you do not need modifier 25 because the test (service) was a necessary part of the exam and MDM...key components of the E/M code. Another example would be an in-office urine dip to test for UTI. This was necessary for the assessment and MDM of the CC, so no modifier is needed.

To contrast: If a patient presented to the office with pain in the elbow and after a detailed history and physical exam, was diagnosed with left lateral epicondylitis requiring an injection of Aristospan, then you would append the modifier 25 to the E/M code along with the proper injection code because a service was actually performed for the TREATMENT of a diagnosis in addition to the E/M service provided that day.

My simplified rationale to understanding modifier 25 in short is: If the service (CPT code) was DIAGNOSTIC (required for the physical exam and/or MDM of the CC), then no modifier 25 is needed on the E/M code. If the service (CPT code) was actually TREATING the condition diagnosed, then modifier 25 is needed on the E/M code.

To the experts out there, am I on the right track or way off?

This post was 2 years ago, no response ever materialized that I can see. Anyone want to weigh in on this? I would love to have the answer to this question

Medicare made significant changes to the NCCI Manuel regarding how to use modifier 25. You will need to understanding the global modifiers (00-010, XXX, YYY, ZZZ, MMM) in addition to what minor procedures have a brief E&M service bundled into them

Some carriers program their computers to require a modifier 25 for additional services with an E&M, regardless if they are diagnostic or surgical.

CMS NCCI Manual:
    CHAP1-gencorrectcodingpolicies_final10312012.doc
    Revision Date: 1/1/2013
    CHAPTER I
    GENERAL CORRECT CODING POLICIES FOR
    NATIONAL CORRECT CODING INITIATIVE POLICY MANUAL
    FOR MEDICARE SERVICES
    pages I-17 - I-18